Final piece from our last 6 week project:
The project was divided into 3 two week mini-projects:
2 weeks of observational drawing and drawing and drawing the same object, 48 times. I had a boot to draw, over and over and over and over, 48 times, driven MAD.
2 weeks of 'materials process action' taking the most successful drawings to develop further, but instead of focusing on 'observing' we had to focus on the 'process' of drawing, drawing for the sake of drawing, experimenting with processes and a variety of materials.
2 weeks of developing and resolving the ideas that had emerged in the last 4 weeks into some sort of 'final piece' to exhibit in the studio.
Some photos from the process, a bit of an explanation of how I got to my final idea:
Drawing my boot in wire
Drawing using the boot:
Began drawing onto my boot. Interested in areas otherwise ignored.
Developed this further by drawing onto other areas of my surroundings considered mundane, taken for granted, or objects otherwise discarded. I became interested in the creation of new 'worlds' through highlighting surface textures, transforming otherwise discarded materials.
I became really interested in creating minute new worlds. I wanted to experiment with the fragility of life-spans and giving new life to discarded objects. I started re-working discarded tea-lights and matches and wax.
I created over 100 individual worlds inside tea-light holders, and had to decide on a way to exhibit them in the studio. I thought about fixing them to the wall in a grid, but felt this had too much of a rigid, museum feel to it, too much of a 'preservation of death' when I was trying to create new life. I experimented with having them 'grow' up the wall like a fungus, playing on the idea of the re-growth and rapid reproduction of mould. If we'd had more time I would have produced even more to grow further up the wall and out of the ceiling.